Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mothers.....oh lord

So my mom made me read this article by a Chinese mother who raised her daughter to be the perfect child. It was called "Why the Chinese Mother is better than the American one."Staying away from drugs and teenage problems, easy admissions to IB League Colleges, piano perfectionist..the list never ends. And the way she brought up her daughter was in a world inscribed with zero play dates, studying, piano camp....you name it. It was published in the Wall Street journal and caused huge controversies. There was a retort article from an American mother."Why the American Mother is Better." Then, there was a third interview from the Chinese mother's child who talks about how her mother brought her up had made her the person she was now. That she attributed all her talent to her mother.
Now I'm not exactly in a position to talk about parenting. You have to be a parent for that. On the other hand, I am a teenage girl and I can talk about the kind of mother that I have and how I think she is the perfect combination.
When I was in second grade I wrote my mother a story for her birthday. It was like a version of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and totally inappropriate for a 7 year old girl to write. My mother took it and explained to me about what I should write about. It was one of the best pieces of advice I ever got about my writing.
My mother lets me go to sleepovers and play dates. She wouldn't mind if I wanted to paint instead of play lacrosse. I can do things if I really enjoy them.
On the other hand.
Getting anything below an 18 out of 20 is completely unacceptable. Anything above that..the first question would be why it isn't a 20. If it's a conceptual problem than the first thing would be to learn the concept. And if it's a silly mistake..well then practise. Going to classes is a must. It's not healthy to just sit at home. So I do music and dance four days a week. It's not allowed to not do your homework, to skip my after school classes for no reason, to stay out late on a school night, to watch late night shows.
My mom certainly isn't the Chinese mother described in the article.
Nor the American one. But I doubt my mother would be differnt if she was Portugese.
Since when has nationalities defined parenting?
A good parent loves their child and wants then to be the best. The child, knowing this, strives to be just that.
Because we kids dont look back and see if out moms are Japanese, Korean,Indian or Portugese. We just see that they love us. They want us to be happy.
Happy is a different word from successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment